The CVICU Case Review series is a confidential interprofessional forum to review cases of interest to the CVICU care team, with an emphasis on patient safety, quality improvement, and education.
Critical Care, Heart Failure, Respiratory Insufficiency, Thoracic Surgery, Heart, Heart Diseases, Cardiovascular Abnormalities, Respiration Disorders
- Physician (fellow/resident)
- Medical Students
Participants who engage in this educational intervention will be able to:
- Evaluate cases resulting in unexpected adverse outcomes and participate in multidisciplinary case review
- Identify medical management factors that contributed to the undesired outcome and discuss strategies for improving outcomes in future patients with similar conditions
- Discuss communication gaps that occurred within the CVICU environment and be able to describe strategies for avoiding similar mistakes in the future
- Analyze the non-standard mechanical circulatory support methods, (eg axillary balloon pumps), and be able to describe how management of these patients may differ from routine CVICU care
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, Standard 3, all in control of content must disclose any relevant financial relationships. The following in control of content had no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 1.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.