16160: Autonomic Disorders Workshop for Generalists
Do some of your patients “drop out of life” with chronic nausea, abdominal pain or dizziness? Are they “heart-sink” patients (meaning that your heart sinks when their name appears on your schedule because nothing seems to work)? Over 30% of patients to a primary practice harbor a Functional Disorder like chronic idiopathic nausea, irritable bowel syndrome, postural tachycardia syndrome or chronic migraine. And yet all of us in medicine remain ill-equipped to diagnose or manage this population because most medical school and training programs do not address their issues.
This live patient-based workshop aims to fill this gap. You will hear from world-renowned experts on each topic, followed by your eliciting history from a live patient with the problems just covered. Only patient-based training (like resident and fellowship) change how practitioners think.
In addition, we would like to mention a new MCW Functional Disorders education program support practitioners with this challenging and ever-growing population. This program leverages resources unique to MCW. Drs. Tom & Gisela Chelimsky will partner with you and help you to partner with your own patients to efficiently provide them with the skills necessary to return to normal life. The funds available to MCW from the “Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment” will allow all CME charges to be waived at this time. Enrollment in this program will entitle you to open email access to the faculty for prompt clinical advice, and early appointments for your referrals to the Autonomic Disorders Clinic.
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this Live Activity for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 7.5 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
Please note that there is a $8.00 transaction fee for all on-line registrations.
For individuals participating in the AHW Grant please contact Karen Knippel for registration instructions before attempting to register for this course.
- Primary Care Physicians
- Family Practice Physicians
- General Neurologists
- PM & R Specialists
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Allied Health Care Professionals
- Differentiate symptoms indicative of structural and functional Autonomic Disorders
- Identify signs & symptoms that may benefit from autonomic testing
- Understand foundation of management
- Recognize the basis of psychiatric co-morbidities
- Mohammed (Hasan) Abdallah, MD, Cardiologist, University Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Donald Basel, MBBS, Associate Professor, Genetics, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Thomas Chelimsky, MD, CME Program Director, Professor of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Gisela Chelimsky, MD, CME Program Co- Director, Professor of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Phil R. Fischer, MD, Professor of Pediatrics, Mayo Clinic
- John E. Fortunato Jr, MD, Gastroenterologist Pediatric Specialist, Children’s Hospital, Colorado
- Blair Grubb, MD, Professor and Director of Electro-physiology Services, University of Toledo Medical Center in Ohio
- Katja Kovacic, MD, Assistant Professor, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Mohammed Numan, MD, Associate Professor, Pediatric Cardiology, UT Health Medical School
- Paolo T. Pianosi, MD, Associate Professor, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic
- Julian Stewart, MD, PhD, Professor, Associate Chairman, Patient Oriented Research, Director, Center for Hypotension, New York Medical College
- Sally Tarbell, PhD, Psychologist, University of Colorado Hospital
No one in control of content has any relevant financial relationship to disclose, except for the following:
Dr. Gisela Chelimsky
Dr. Thomas Chelimsky
|Dr. Blair Grubb||Biotronic||Speaker|
|Dr. Julian Stewart||Lundbeck||PI|
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Commercial Support Number 6, all in control of content disclosed any relevant financial relationships. These relationships were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest resolution process and resolved.
- 7.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™