Milwaukee's Agenda For Children
“Poverty is a disease we can’t ignore. Not only is it poisoning our children, it is costing our country $500 billion per year in lost productivity and poor health. We need to cure it, and we need to cure it now.
This conference will focus on the relationship between poverty and childhood health issues. In Milwaukee, among children 18 and under, the poverty rate is 42%. What efforts are being made in our community to address these challenges? What still needs to be accomplished?
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 2.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
Physicians, Social Service Providers, Allied Health Care Professionals
1) Increase awareness of the impact of childhood poverty
2) Increase awareness of roles that health care professionals can take to prevent or ameliorate childhood poverty
Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this activity, learners will be able to:
• Recognition of the impact of childhood poverty throughout the life course
• Understanding of the poverty-related social determinants of health, and the pathophysiology of the effects of poverty
• Roles that pediatricians and other health care professionals can take as leaders and agendas to eliminate or prevent childhood poverty
Program Planner: Nancy Bialek
Program Director: Earnestine Willis, MD, MPH
Program Speakers & Panelists
Chris Abele, Milwaukee County Executive
Emilia I. Arana, MD
Bevan Baker, FACHE
Jeffrey Britton, MD
Benard P. Dreyer, MD, FAAP
Howard L. Garber, PhD
Veronica Gunn, MD
John Meurer, MD, MBA
Denisha Tate, Chief Strategic Officer
Mitch Teich, Executive Producer & Co-host Lake Effect, WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio
Earnestine Willis, MD, MPH
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 2.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.