The CVICU Case Review series is a confidential interprofessional forum to review cases of interest to the CVICU care team, with an emphasis on patient safety, quality improvement, and education.
Key Words: Critical Care, Heart Failure, Respiratory Insufficiency, Thoracic Surgery, Heart, Heart Diseases, Cardiovascular Abnormalities
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
- Medical Students
Participants who engage in this educational intervention will be able to:
• Evaluate cases resulting in unexpected adverse outcomes and participate in multidisciplinary case review
• Identify medical management factors that contributed to the undesired outcome and discuss strategies for improving outcomes in future patients with similar conditions
• Discuss communication gaps that occurred within the CVICU environment and be able to describe strategies for avoiding similar mistakes in the future
• Analyze the non-standard mechanical circulatory support methods, (eg axillary balloon pumps), and be able to describe how management of these patients may differ from routine CVICU care
Tracy Zundel, MD
Department of Anesthesiology
Medical College of Wisconsin
Planning Committee Member(s):
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, Standard 3, all in control of content must disclose any relevant financial relationships. The following in control of content had no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- Tracy Zundel
The following persons in control of content disclosed the following financial relationships which were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest mitigation process and addressed.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.