The CVICU Case Review series is a confidential interprofessional forum to review cases of interest to the CVICU care team, with an emphasis on patient safety, quality improvement, and education.
Keywords: Critical Care, Heart Failure, Respiratory Insufficiency, Thoracic Surgery, Heart, Heart Diseases, Cardiovascular Abnormalities, Respiration Disorders
Participants who engage in this educational intervention will be able to:
- Evaluate cases resulting in unexpected adverse outcomes and participate in multidisciplinary case review
- Identify medical management factors that contributed to the undesired outcome and discuss strategies for improving outcomes in future patients with similar conditions
- Discuss communication gaps that occurred within the CVICU environment and be able to describe strategies for avoiding similar mistakes in the future
- Analyze the non-standard mechanical circulatory support methods, (eg axillary balloon pumps), and be able to describe how management of these patients may differ from routine CVICU care
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Commercial Support Six, all in control of content must disclose any relevant financial relationships. The following in control of content had no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- Michael Tracy Zundel, MD
- Emily Ehrengren, APNP
- Beth Ann Nance, PA
- Laura Mark, PA
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 1.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.