Best Evidence ENT 2014
Otolaryngology is a diverse specialty treating patients with diseases and disorders of the ear, nose, throat and related structures of the head and neck. Best Evidence ENT 2014 will provide practicing otolaryngogists with research findings, technologies and proven evidence-based methods to provide a systemic, concise and evidence-based method of patient assement and treatment. Best Evidence ENT 2014 will also include a mini sleep course presented by world renowned sleep apnea specialist, B. Tucker Woodson, MD. This course will focus on new surgical approachs in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 16.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 16.5 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
This meeting was supported by an Unrestricted Educational Grant from Synthes and Intersect ENT.
The faculty of the Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences at the Medical College of Wisconsin is proud to present this inaugral conference that will cover the entire scope of the specialty. Featured honorary guest lectures include:
Timothy L. Smith, MD, MPH is a recognized expert in the management of complex sinus disease. He is actively involved in research and serves as the principal investigator of the first multi-institution, multi-disciplinary study of outcomes of sinus surgery funded by the NIH. He holds the title of Professor and Director of the Oregon Sinus Center, Chief of Rhinology and Sinus-Skull Base Surgery and Director of Clinical Research in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Oregon Health & Sinus University in Portland, OR. Dr. Smith is honored to present the 2nd Annual Robert J. Toohill Lecture entitled " Treatment Outcomes in Chronic Sinusitis," on August 3.
Dean M. Toriumi, MD is a facial plastic surgeon in Chicago who has been internationally recognized as an expert in aesthetic and functional rhinoplasty. Dr. Toriumi has co-authored two major textbooks, "Open Structure Rhinoplasty" and the "Rhinoplasty Dissection Manual," and he serves as Professor and Head of the Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Toriumi will present the 26th Annual Roger H. Lehman Lecture entitled, "Progression in Management of Nasal Valve Collapse: Moving Beyond the Alar Batten Graft," the morning of August 4.
- 2:30 pm Beyond Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy for Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Cecille G. Sulman, MD
- 3:00 pm Pediatric Polysomnography (PSG) Guideline - Robert H. Chun, MD
- 3:30 pm Mandibular Advancement Devices Indications and Complications for Obstructive Sleep Apnea - Steven R. Sewall, DDS and B. Tucker Woodson, MD
- 4:00 pm Break
- 4:30 pm Controversies in Upper Airway Stimulation Evaluation of Obstructive Sleep Apnea - B. Tucker Woodson, MD
- 5:00 pm Reconstructive Palatal Techniques for Obstructive Sleep Apnea - B. Tucker Woodson, MD
- 5:30 pm Upper Airway Stimulation - B. Tucker Woodson, MD
- 6:00 pm Adjourn
- 7-9 pm Opening Reception in the Kohler Design Center
Sunday, August 3, 2013
- 7:30 am Best Evidence ENT - John S. Rhee, MD, MPH
- 8:00 am Sinusitis Guideline - David M. Poetker, MD
- 8:30 am Robert J. Toohill Lecture: Treatment Outcomes in Chronis Sinusitis - Timothy L. Smith, MD, MPH
- 9:30 am Break
- 10:00 am Chronic Sinusitis Panel - Todd A. Loehrl, MD; Charles J. Harkins, MD; David M. Poetker, MD; and Timothy L. Smith, MD, MPH
- 11:00 am Sudden Hearing Loss Guideline - David R. Friedland, MD, PhD
- 11:30 am Dizziness Panel - Steven A. Harvey, MD; David R. Friedland, MD, PhD; and Lexi Miles, MPT
- 12:00 pm Adjourn/Lunch
Monday, August 4, 2013
- 7:30 am Nasal Valve Consensus Statement - Sachin S. Pawar, MD
- 8:00 am Roger H. Lehman Lecture: Progression in Management of Nasal Valve Collapse: Moving Beyond the Alar Batten Graft - Dean M. Toriumi, MD
- 9:00 am Break
- 9:30 am Tympanostomy Guideline - Joseph A. Kerschner, MD
- 10:00 am Tympanostomy Panel - Robert H. Chun, MD; Stephen F. Conley, MD; Timothy J. Martin, MD; and Thomas C. Robey
- 10:30 am Tonsillectomy Panel - Charles J.Harkins, MD; David J. Beste, MD; Valerie A. Flanary, MD; and Michael E. McCormick, MD
- 11:30 am Pediatric Hearing Loss: Best Practices - Christina L. Runge, PhD
- 12:00 pm Adjourn/Lunch
Tuesday, August 5, 2013
- 7:30 am Head and Neck Cancer: Quality Care - Michael E. Stadler, MD
- 8:00 am Hoarsness Guideline - Jonathan M. Bock, MD
- 8:30 am Voice Outcomes Following Thyroid Surgery Guideline - Joel H. Blumin, MD
- 9:00 am Break
- 9:30 am Hyperparathyroidism: Clinical Care Pathway - Becky L. Massey, MD
- 10:00 am Thyroid Cancer: Best Evidence - Bruce H. Campbell, MD
- 10:30 am Conference Adjourned
Afternoons are open each day to golf one of Kohler’s four championship golf courses, visit the Kohler Waters Spa or canoe, fish, walk/hike the 500 acre wilderness preserve.
The American Club is a Forbes Five-Star Resort Hotel and the Midwest’s only AAA Five Diamond Resort Hotel located in Kohler, Wisconsin, one hour north of Milwaukee, one hour south of Green Bay and two hours north of Chicago.
This location offers everything for the discerning traveler, from Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run, four Pete Dye-designed world-class golf courses, a 500-acre nature preserve, the Kohler Design Center, the Kohler Waters Spa, a sports center, racquet club and the exclusive Shops at Woodlake.
Play the Straits! Whistling Straits has hosted the PGA Championship, US Senior Open and the Palmer Cup. It is ranked # 2 by Golf Digest Magazine among US Public Courses and is a World Top 100 golf course. Whistling Straits offers two courses sculpted into the Lake Michigan coastline:
Ranked among the best in the country, Blackwolf Run is situated on a river basin formed by glacial runoff to create one of the most scenic and challenging courses in North America. Blackwolf Run offers two championship courses:
Because of the distinction of these courses, it is highly recommended that tee times be made well in advance. Limited tee times have been reserved for conference attendees on Sunday, August 3 and Monday, August 4 beginning at 1:30 pm. You must sign up for tee times with your register online.
Additional tee times can be scheduled individually by calling 1-887-8455 or online at http://www.americanclubresort.com/golf/policies/golf_policies.html.
Presented with the 2013 Five-Star Award by Forbes Travel Guide, Kohler Waters Spa is one of the 35 spas worldwide awarded with this distinction! Enjoy the latest innovative water treatments, therapeutic massages, facials and body treatment experiences in a place of tranquility or take pleasure in the relaxation pool and waterfall.
View Kohler Waters Spa brochure
It is highly recommended that spa appoints be made several weeks in advance. Call 1-866-887-8455 for spa reservations, or schedule online by clicking here.
Endless activities exist in Kohler for guests of all ages. Try hiking the 500 acre wilderness preserve, river canoeing or kayaking, horseback riding, trap shooting, charter fishing on Lake Michigan, or take a yoga class on the lake, tour the Kohler factory or the John Michael Kohler Art Center. Unique boutique shopping is available in the Shops of Woodlake, or wonder through the specialty and antique shops of historic Sheboygan Falls.
Best Evidence ENT 2014 is designed for practicing otolaryngologists. The focus of the event is to educate otolaryngologists on the importance of staying current with the latest best evidence findings. The entire scope of the specialty will be addressed.
After attending Best Evidence ENT 2014, the practicing otolaryngologists will be able to:
- Review patient outcomes based on peer reviewed research.
- Describe best evidence practices for diagnostic and assessment procedures.
- Incorporate new concepts associated with particular diagnostic procedures into practice.
The course will be held at the:
The American Club
419 Highland Drive
Kohler, WI 53044
A block of rooms has been reserved at The American Club and the Inn on Woodlake. Be sure to make your reservation prior to July 1st, 2014 in order to receive discounted rates.
To make your reservation at either property, call 1-800-344-2838. The group block name is “Medical College of Wisconsin” and the city ledger is 8207X9. Or,
Make a reservation online at The American Club
Originally built in 1918 to house the Kohler Company’s immigrant workers, The American Club of today boasts Tudor style guest accommodations with state-of-the-art Kohler showering experiences or whirlpool tubs in each bathroom. It is an escape to where village charm meets old-world elegance with luxurious décor providing a unique and quality experience.
Make a reservation online at the Inn on Woodlake
Discounted rates available until July 1st, 2014:
$319 for a standard king guestroom at The American Club
$199 for a prarie double or lake King at the Inn on Woodlake
No resort fee applies.
David R. Friedland, MD
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose with the exception of the following person(s):
|Joel H. Blumin, MD||Merz||Consultant|
|David R. Friedland, MD, MPH||Med-El||Consultant|
|Becky L. Massey, MD||Olympus||Consultant|
|Sachin S. Pawar, MD||McGraw Hill||Specialty Editor|
|Christina L. Runge, PhD|
|Timothy L. Smith, MD, PhD||IntersectENT||Consultant|
|B. Tucker Woodson, MD|
- 16.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 16.50 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.