2020 Advance Directives: The Baseline Data
PURPOSE: Improve geriatric care by improving the PCP’s ability to initiate brief and impactful Advanced Directive (AD) discussions with patients 65 years and older. This is the first step towards increasing the percentage of your patients (or your clinic’s/group’s patients) 65 years and older who have an Advance Directive with minimal time spent.
HOW: Using a two-cycle PDSA approach – we will prepare you to initiate brief, yet impactful, conversations with your patients 65 years and older about the importance of completing an Advance Directive. We will emphasize the PCP’s role in brief interactions with his/her patients that can positively impact Advance Directive completion.
Primary Care Physicians, Residents, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners
- Communicate the importance of completing advanced directives with other healthcare providers and with patients.
- Access and use resources within MCW to complete advance directives.
- Initiate conversations with their patients about completing an advanced directive.
- Assess individual performance on advance directive completion rate.
- Engage in the PDSA process for two cycles, and over 6 months.
CME Project Team
Edmund Duthie, MD – Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics/Gerontology), Chief Division of Geriatrics/Gerontology
Deborah Simpson, PhD – Medical Education Program Directo, Professor [Clinical Adjunct] Family Medicine at UWSMPH & MCW, Aurora UW Medical Group
Kathryn Denson, MD – Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics/Gerontology) - Medical College of Wisconsin
Steven Denson, MD – Associate Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics/Gerontology) - Medical College of Wisconsin
Judith Myers, MS – Maintenance of Certification Project Manager, Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program, Medical College of Wisconsin
MCW Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Advisory Council
- Geoffrey Lamb, MD – Professor of Medicine (General Internal Medicine)
- Steven Bartz, MD – Clinical Assistant Professor of Family and Community Medicine
- Daniel Jankins, MD - Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Internal Medicine)
- Michael Malone, MD – Medical Director Aurora Senior Services - AHC
- Edmund Duthie, Jr. MD – Chief Division of Geriatrics/Gerontology, Department Medicine - MCW
- Steven Barczi, MD- Professor of Medicine/ Geriatrics/ Sleep Medicine- UWSMPH
- Stacy Barnes, PhD – Director Wisconsin Geriatric Education Center - Marquette University
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Commercial Support Number 6, all in control of content disclosed any relevant financial relationships. These relationships were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest resolution process and resolved
No one in control of content has any relevant financial relationships to disclose.