15157 - ISTH "Controversies in Anticoagulation"
Through its educational arm, the ISTH Academy, the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) has begun hosting a series of webinars on practical thrombosis and haemostasis issues that scientists and physicians frequently confront. These webinars will allot time for participants to ask questions and will cover the latest information on relevant topics.
How and when to monitor novel anticoagulants – Mark Crowther (Canada)
Dr. Crowther will discuss when (nearly never) and how (it is complicated) novel anticoagulants.
Heritable thrombophilias – diagnosis and management – Peter K. MacCallum (UK)
This presentation will focus on the pathophysiology, epidemiology and laboratory diagnosis of the heritable thrombophilias as well as the management of these abnormalities in clinical practice.
- Clinicians practicing in the field of venous thromboembolism
- Allied Health Professionals
- Providing a laboratory service
- Those who manage anticoagulant therapy
At the conclusion of this activity, I will be able to:
- Understand evidence for test that can determine if anticoagulants are present
- Discuss where testing should, and should not, be used
- Explore bleeding and other toxicity risks and their relationship to levels
- Understanding of mechanisms whereby heritable thrombophilias predispose to venous thromboembolism
- Epidemiology of the heritable thrombophilias including influence of family history
- Basic laboratory diagnosis of the heritable thrombophilias and common influences on measurement of variables
- Testing for and management of heritable thrombophilias in patients with venous thromboembolism
- Testing for and management of heritable thrombophilias in asymptomatic individuals
|Mark Crowther||Octapharma, Bayer, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Janssen, Pfizer, Leo Pharma and Portola;||Advisory Board|
AKP America, Daichii, Bayer, Leo Pharma and Bayer;
|Study Steering committees, or other research related activities for projects|
|BMS-Pfizer alliance, Leo Pharma, Abbvie, Bayer, Celgene, Shire and CSL Behring||preparation of educational materials and/or presentations|
|Peter MacCallum||Leo Pharmaceuticals, Bayer, Daiichi Sankyo||Speaker, Consulting|
|Geoff Barnes||Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Michigan||Primary Investigator & Co-Investigator|
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.