February 21, 2018 21:00 - 22:00 UTC
(Feb 21 16:00 EST/Feb 22 8:00 AEDT)
Alex C. Spyropoulos "Perioperative management of patients on chronic warfarin therapy"
This presentation with help practitioners manage patients on chronic warfarin therapy in elective periprocedural settings. It will include recommendations on the periprocedural timing of interruption and resumption of warfarin, INR monitoring, and use of heparin bridging therapy, if appropriate.
Geoff Barnes "Perioperative management of patients on chronic direct oral anticoagulant therapy"
This presentation will discuss the safe use of direct oral anticoagulation (DOAC) before and after surgical procedures, including efforts to standardize care delivery. It will review published evidence and ongoing clinical trials of periprocedural DOAC management.
Supported by an unrestricted educational grant from: Instrumentation Laboratory
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
The ISTH webinar series will provide high quality and state of the art education to practitioners around the world. Throughout the course of the year, the series will provide both clinical and basic science education in the areas of Thrombosis and Anticoagulation; Platelets and Vascular Biology; Coagulation and Bleeding Disorders.
- Early career professionals
- Experience physicians needing an update who treat patients receiving warfarin or DOACs
- To apply both thrombotic and bleed risk stratification strategies in periprocedural settings in devising an overall periprocedural plan for patients on chronic warfarin or on chronic direct oral anticoagulant therapy undergoing elective procedures or surgeries
- To learn optimal timing of periprocedural interruption and resumption of warfarin therapy, INR monitoring, and potential use of warfarin reversal agents
- To learn optimal timing of periprocedural interruption and resumption of direct oral anticoagulant therapy, laboratory monitoring, and potential use of reversal agents
- To assess the potential use (and potential harm) of periprocedural heparin bridging therapy
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose with the exception of the following persons:
|Geoffrey Barnes, MD, MSc||BMS/Pfizer, NHLBI, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Portola Janssen||Research Investigator, Consultant|
|Meera Chitlur, MD||Bayer, Genentech, Novo nardisk, Baxter||Advisory Board, Consultant, Speaker|
Alex Spyropoulos, MD
Geoff Barnes, MD