This is a department-wide conference, with individual topics and speakers chosen by representatives on the planning committee from various subspecialty divisions as well as general internal medicine. The specific topics are chosen by the representatives of each division, who are in this role because of their interest and expertise in education. We have surveyed the literature to identify major national practice gaps in general internists’ practices. The specific topics are identified throughout the year rather than all before the start of the year—this further allows them to be responsive to new or changing data or recommendations that come out during the year.
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 1.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Allied Health Care Professionals
- Illustrate the epidemiology and source of diagnostic errors.
- Describe the current theory of clinical decision making.
- Describe (using examples) the pitfalls associated with intuitive (system 1) thinking.
- Describe the value of metacognition using the Dreyfus & Dreyfus model of attaining expertise.
- Describe pragmatic solutions to reduce diagnostic errors in clinical reasoning.
Michael Frank, MD, FACP - Activity Director
Professor and Vice Chair of Education
Department of Medicine
Jayshil Patel, MD
DIvision of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.