The multidisciplinary breast tumor board is a weekly meeting of breast surgeons, plastic surgeons, radiologists who specialize in breast care, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, genetics counselors and ancillary staff to discuss the cases of all breast cancer patients who will be treated in the Froedtert and Medical College Breast Cancer Center. The purpose of these discussions is to ensure quality care for each patient. Cases are presented prior to initiation of treatment to ensure the optimal coordination of care, and then again after surgery to discuss how final pathologic findings might change management. While many institutions also hold breast tumor boards, the amount of scrutiny and presentation of cases prior to surgery makes the tumor board at the Froedtert breast center unique to the region of Southeastern Wisconsin. During discussion at the conference, a focus is placed on recent changes in literature and how that impacts each individual patient. We also discuss clinical trials that are currently open, their rationale based on recent findings in the literature, and patient eligibility for participation on those trials.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 1.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
- Breast Surgeons
- Plastic Surgeons
- Radiologists Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Allied Health Professionals
- Recognize and understand the importance of the multidisciplinary approach to the care of patients with malignant breast disease and ensure the input of providers across the spectrum of treatment modalities, including surgery, systemic therapy, radiation therapy, reconstructive surgery and ancillary services.
- Enhance the fund of knowledge for the work-up and evaluation of patients with malignant breast disease, including the appropriate use of imaging technology and services of the Pathology Department.
- Discuss and assist implementation of new treatment protocols for the multidisciplinary treatment of breast cancer and ensure care is delivered in compliance with quality guidelines established by regulatory and accrediting bodies such as NAPBC, QOPI, ACR and the American Cancer Society.
- Educate attendees about current areas of controversies in management of breast cancer, discuss clinical trials that attempt address those controversies, and identify patients that might benefit from enrollment in clinical trials.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.