The multidisciplinary breast tumor board is a weekly meeting to discuss the cases of all breast cancer patients who will be treated in the Froedtert and Medical College Breast Cancer Center. The purpose of these discussions is to ensure quality care for each patient. Cases are presented prior to initiation of treatment to ensure the optimal coordination of care, and then again after surgery to discuss how final pathologic findings might change management. While many institutions also hold breast tumor boards, the amount of scrutiny and presentation of cases prior to surgery makes the tumor board at the Froedtert breast center unique to the region of Southeastern Wisconsin. During discussion at the conference, a focus is placed on recent changes in literature and how that impacts each individual patient. We also discuss clinical trials that are currently open, their rationale based on recent findings in the literature, and patient eligibility for participation on those trials.
Key Words: Breast Cancer, Oncology
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
- Medical Residents
Participants who engage in this educational intervention will be able to:
- Recognize and identify the importance of the multidisciplinary approach to the care of patients with malignant breast disease and ensure the input of providers across the spectrum of treatment modalities, including surgery, systemic therapy, radiation therapy, reconstructive surgery and ancillary services.
- Enhance the competency of learners for the work-up and evaluation of patients with malignant breast disease, including the appropriate use of imaging technology and services of the Pathology Department.
- Discuss and assist implementation of new treatment protocols for the multidisciplinary treatment of breast cancer and ensure care is delivered in compliance with quality guidelines established by regulatory and accrediting bodies such as NAPBC, QOPI, ACR and the American Cancer Society.
- Educate attendees about current areas of controversies in management of breast cancer, discuss clinical trials that attempt address those controversies, and identify patients that might benefit from enrollment in clinical trials.
Adam Currey, MD
Department of Radiation Oncology
Medical College of Wisconsin-Froedtert
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, Standard 3, all in control of content must disclose any relevant financial relationships. The following in control of content had no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Adam Currey, MD, Associate Professor, Radiation Oncology, MCW
Chandler Cortina, MD Assistant Professor, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Adrienne Cobb, MD Assistant Professor, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Julie Jorns, MD, Associate Professor, Pathology, MCW
Ricardo Bello, MD, Fellow-Surgical Oncology, MCW
Candice Johnstone, MD, MPH, Professor, Radiation Oncology, MCW
Erin Doren, MD, Associate Professor, Plastic Surgery, MCW
Amanda Kong, MD, MS, Professor, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Anna Purdy, NP, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Thomas Giever, DO, Assistant Professor, Hematology & Oncology, MCW
Sarah Deitch, MD, Assistant Professor, Radiology, MCW
Solomon Cherian, MD, Assistant Professor, Radiology, MCW
Anubha Wadhwa, MD, Associate Professor, Radiology, MCW
Philip Redlich, MD, PhD, Professor, Surgery, MCW
Julie Sullivan, MD, Assistant Professor, Radiology, MCW
Katherine Lunde, PAC, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Kaleen Puccetti, MD, Instructor, Radiology, MCW
Kiran Manjee MBBS, Instructor, Pathology, MCW
Sailaja Kamaraju, MD Associate Professor, Hematology & Oncology, MCW
Joanne Mattingly, NP, Surgical Oncology, MCW
Tracy Kelly, MD Associate Professor, Radiation Oncology, MCW
Jessica Fodrocy, NP Surgical Oncology, MCW
Colin Hansen, MD Assistant Professor, Radiology, MCW
Tina Yen, MD, MS, Professor, Surgical Oncology, MCW
The following persons in control of content disclosed the following financial relationships which were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest mitigation process and addressed.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.