Responsible Opioid Prescribing Guidelines Continuing Education Course (MED-1009), May 21, 2019
This course has been approved by the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board as meeting the requirements for the two-hour continuing education course on the responsible opioid prescribing guidelines per Med 13.03(3) of the Wisconsin Administrative Code. (Ref # MED-1009)
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course is designed for those with a current DEA certificate and who prescribe opioids for pain management.
- Describe appropriate patient assessment for treatment with ER/LA opioid analgesics,.
- Evaluate risks and potential benefits of ER/LA therapy, as well as possible misuse.
- Apply proper methods to initiate therapy, modify dose, and discontinue use of ER/LA opioid analgesics.
- Monitor patients prescribed opioids for benefit and harm.
- Employ methods to counsel patients and caregivers about the safe use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, including proper storage and disposal.
- Safely discontinue opioids when there is too little benefit or too much risk and harm.
Robert W. Hurley, MD/PhD
Wake Forest Baptist Health
No relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 2.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.