MCW 2019 Responsible Opioid Prescribing Guidelines Continuing Education Course (MED-1009)
This course has been approved by the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board as meeting the requirements for the two-hour continuing education course on the responsible opioid prescribing guidelines per Med 13.03(3) of the Wisconsin Administrative Code. (Ref # MED-1009)
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Medical College of Wisconsin, Inc. is approved as a provider of nurse practitioner continuing education by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners: AANP Provider Number 150930. This program has been approved for 2.0 contact hours of continuing education (which includes 1.5 hours of pharmacology).
Physician Assistants: This activity is designated for 2.00 AAPA Category 1 CME credits. Approval is valid for one year from 9/1/2019. PAs should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation.
This course is designed for members of the MCW community - MCW Faculty, MCP, CSG, CMG, CP and Zablocki VA physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants with a current DEA certificate and who prescribe opioids for pain management.
- Describe appropriate patient assessment for treatment with ER/LA opioid analgesics,.
- Evaluate risks and potential benefits of ER/LA therapy, as well as possible misuse.
- Apply proper methods to initiate therapy, modify dose, and discontinue use of ER/LA opioid analgesics.
- Monitor patients prescribed opioids for benefit and harm.
- Employ methods to counsel patients and caregivers about the safe use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, including proper storage and disposal.
- Safely discontinue opioids when there is too little benefit or too much risk and harm.
Robert W. Hurley, MD/PhD
Wake Forest Baptist Health
No relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 2.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
- 2.00 NP Contact Hours
- 1.50 NP PharmacologyNP Pharmacology credit.
- 2.00 PAPA credit.