- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 2.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
Physicians are often uncomfortable addressing spiritual issues with patients and may see patients’ deaths as a sign of failure as a healer. Physicians are trained to make evidence based decisions and may not relate to a patient’s spiritual experience of illness. Physicians without palliative care training may not be comfortable addressing end of life care. This interactive clinician led small group discussion for M2s in the Foundational Capstone Course focused on the application of ethical priniciples to clinical scenarios that pose management dilemmas. Small group faciliatators who complete pre reading assignment and complete a post test following discussion are eligible to receive CME credit for sessions.
Preceptors assigned to teach the Foundational Capstone Ethics Discussions
- Appreciate the importance of addressing patients’ spiritual concerns as a part of optimizing the patient physician relationship
- Cite the current laws surrounding physician assisted suicide and euthanasia
- Apply the ethical principles to determine appropriate care for patients at the end of life