15231 Video of Surgical Care Bundles for the Reduction of Surgical Site Infection: It All Starts in the Operating Room - (November 18, 2015)
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Professionals:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 1.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
General Surgeons, Physician Assistants, Allied Health Care Professionals
- Surgical site infection (SSI) is one of the health care associated infections (HCAIs); the incidence of SSI does not appear to be falling despite many international and commercially led interventions. SSI may soon become the most common HCAI with significant impact on healthcare resources.
- Validated and precise definitions are needed to ensure the accuracy of the incidence of SSI. Definitions must be accompanied by equally precise methods of surveillance, particularly post-discharge from secondary care, using monitoring and enforcement of agreed care bundles.
- Care bundles which use the best evidence, ideally level 1A evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analyses, can reduce SSI incidence; most of these interventions start in the operating room.
Emeritus Professor of Surgery,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Professor of Clinical Sciences, ISIaIP
University of Huddersfield, United Kingdom
In accordance with the ACCMEⓇ standard for Commercial Support Number 6, all in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose with the exception of the following person(s):
David Leaper, MD, ChM, DSc, FRCS, FACS, FLS
Ethicon Johnson & Johnson
|Data monitoring committee, honorarium
|Consultant advisor, honorarium
In accordance with the ACCME® standards for Commercial Support Number 6, these relationships were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest resolution process and resolved.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 1.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
- 1.00 MOC Part IIMOC Part II credit.