Building Capacity to Address Maternal Mental Health Conditions
This one-day conference focuses on perinatal psychiatric diagnosis and treatment for the non-psychiatric provider. Session topics were selected based on feedback received from providers enrolled in The Periscope Project. The conference is offered as a benefit for those enrolled to build their capacity to treat the behavioral health concerns of preconception, pregnant, postpartum, and inter-conception women. Sessions offer a range of topics to meet the needs of diverse provider types and base knowledge on perinatal psychiatric disorders.
Enrolled providers in The Periscope Project. Eligibility includes health care providers and professionals caring for pregnant and postpartum women. Enrollment in The Periscope Project will be verified at the time of conference registration. For more information on enrollment eligibility visit the-periscope-project.org.
- Define the role of a non-MAT prescribing provider in the treatment of opioid use disorder in pregnant and lactating patients
- Discuss different ways to talk to perinatal patients about mental health or substance use disorders
- Define the prevalence of psychiatric disorders in the perinatal period
- Describe first-line pharmacological treatment regimens for depression and anxiety spectrum disorders in a perinatal patient
- List non-pharmacologic approaches to management of a perinatal patient with a mental health or substance use disorder
Registration and Networking (coffee and light refreshments provided)
Plenary Session: Management of Opioid Use Disorders in the Perinatal Patient
Charles Schauberger, MD
Plenary Session: Opioid Epidemic in Wisconsin and the Perinatal Patient
Lunch Presentation: The Periscope Project Outcomes (lunch provided)
Breakout Sessions One
*Breakout 1A: Back to the Basics: Perinatal Psychiatric Pharmacology
Break (light refreshments provided)
Breakout Sessions Two
*Breakout 2A: Navigating Difficult Conversations Utilizing Standardized Patients
*Breakout 2B: Panel Session: Non-Pharmacological Treatment Options
Wrap Up and Evaluations
Location and Parking
The conference will be held in the Alumni Center of the Medical College of Wisconsin Campus: 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226. To park, visitors must stop at the Visitor Lot booth located across from the main entrance of the college on 87th Street. 87th Street can be accessed from either Watertown Plank Road or Wisconsin Avenue.
A block of rooms is reserved for conference attendees until April 19, 2019, at a special rate of $111 per night. Please call Residence Inn by Marriott Milwaukee West 414-258-2575 for reservations and mention The Periscope Project to receive the reduced rate. Residence Inn Milwaukee West is located one mile from the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) campus.
Charles Schauberger, MD | Gundersen LaCrosse | Obstetrics and Gynecology
Elizabeth Collier | State of Wisconsin | State Opioid Treatment Authority
Julie R. Owen, MD | MCW department of psychiatry and behavioral medicine | The Periscope Project
Christina L. Wichman, DO | MCW departments of psychiatry and behavioral medicine and obstetrics and gynecology | The Periscope Project
Tasha Farrar, MD | Sherman Consulting | Psychiatrist
My Phon Nguyen, MD | Aurora Health Care | Psychiatrist | The Periscope Project
Abbey Kruper, PsyD | MCW departments of psychiatry and behavioral medicine and obstetrics and gynecology
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose.
ACCME Accreditation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Care Professionals:
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates this activity for up to 6.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
- 6.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 6.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
The Periscope Project conference is a benefit for enrolled providers and offered at no additional cost,
however registration is required for attendance. Registration includes: refreshments, luncheon, and continuing education credits.
Lunch choices, provided by Beans and Barley, are as follows:
- Chicken Pine Nut Salad Wrap - Made with lemon-shallot mayo and served on white bread, with lettuce and tomato
- Turkey Club Sandwich - Roasted turkey breast with tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, and pesto-mayo on challah bread
- Hummus and Vegetable Wrap - Spinach, tabouli, tomato, cucumber, tahini sauce, and hummus in a whole wheat tortilla
- Balsamic and Gorgonzola Salad with Grilled Chicken - Mixed greens, gorgonzola, craisins, and pumpkin seeds with balsamic vinaigrette
** Each lunch selection includes a whole sandwich or salad, chips, fruit salad and a cookie.
REGISTER BY APRIL 19, 2019