How Depressed Are They? Assessment of Depression and Suicidal Ideation
This day-long conference features a half-day presentation by Shawn Christopher Shea, MD, an internationally acclaimed innovator in the fields of suicide prevention, building resiliency, clinical interviewing, and improving medication adherence. He is the creator of the highly acclaimed interviewing strategy for uncovering suicidal ideation and intent, the Chronological Assessment of Suicide Events (the CASE Approach). The second half of this conference features six speakers who will cover topics including the Zero Suicide Initiative at North Central Healthcare, interpersonal approaches to the causality of suicide, coping with suicide, and addressing depression and suicidality in youth.
This event is intended for psychiatrists, psychologists, residents, nurses, medical students, social workers, and other mental health professionals.
- Utilize a systematic approach to suicide assessment
- Discuss the roadblocks to uncovering a client's true suicidal intent and his or her method of choice for suicide
- Describe and utilize seven validity techniques for uncovering both suicidal ideation and the types of sensitive and taboo topics that trigger such ideation
- Flexibly and sensitively utilize those validity techniques for eliciting suicidal ideation using the CASE approach, with an emphasis on spotting clients with immediate and imminent risk of suicide
7:30am REGISTRATION AND CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
8:15am WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS Edward Krall, MD
8:30-10:15am Half-Day Training for Clinicians Shawn Shea, MD
10:30am-12:15pm Half-Day Training for Clinicians Shawn Shea, MD
12:15- 1:15pm LUNCH (INCLUDED)
1:15-2:45pm MCW CENTRAL WISCONSIN PSYCHIATRY RESIDENCY FACULTY PANEL
- Zero Suicide Initiative at NCHC Patricia LuCore, RN
- Interpersonal approach to causality of suicide Dileep Borra, MD
- EMDR Approach to Depression and Suicidal Ideation Amy Butterworth, MD
3:00-4:30pm MCW CENTRAL WISCONSIN PSYCHIATRY RESIDENT PANEL
- Dealing with Suicide Albina Zimany, MD
- More Than Just Moody? Addressing Depression and Suicidality in Youth
Gabriella Hangiandreou, MD
- Secondary Mood Disorders Philip Sweet, MD
4:30pm Conference ends
Shawn Shea, MD, is an internationally acclaimed innovator in the fields of suicide prevention, building resiliency, clinical interviewing, and improving medication adherence. He is the creator of the highly acclaimed interviewing strategy for uncovering suicidal ideation and intent - the Chronological Assessment of Suicide Events (the CASE Approach).
Pat LuCore, RN Interim Director, Behavioral Health Services, North Central Healthcare
Dileep Borra, MD North Central Healthcare
Gabriella Hangiandreou, MD Assistant Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Wausau, WI
Philip Sweet, MD, MPH Wisconsin Rapids Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Amy Butterworth, MD PGY-2 Psychiatry Resident, Medical College of Wisconsin, Central Wisconsin
Albina Zimany, MD PGY-2 Psychiatry Resident, Medical College of Wisconsin, Central Wisconsin
All persons in control of content have NO relevant financial relationships to disclose.
In accordance with the ACCME policy on relevant financial disclosure, all planners were asked to reveal any relevant financial relationships. Drs. Chan, Cipriano, Krall, and Pat LuCore, RN, have nothing to disclose.
- 6.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 6.50 APAAPA credit.
- 6.50 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
Registration fee = $75 and includes course materials, continuing education credits, lunch and refreshments.
All lunch selections will be served with bottled water, apple, homemade cookie and chips. Please make your lunch selection above. If you have special diet restrictions please contact Linda Cotton at (715) 870-0906 and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Registrations will close on March 27, 2019
The billing address entered at check out must match the address associated with the credit card used or your credit card will be declined.
A $3.00 non-refundable processing fee is assessed on all registrations.
Refunds: Refunds may be obtained in full if request received before Friday, March 29, 2019. There will be no refunds thereafter.