Session Five: Information Technologies in Mental Health
Over the last twenty years, information technologies (IT) have played an increasingly vital role in the delivery of healthcare. Ready information access on the Internet was the first intersection of IT and healthcare, which began to change the dynamic between patient and provider. Electronic health records, telemedicine, and medical applications on smartphones have now become ubiquitous in the delivery of healthcare. Social media, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality are playing an increasing role in terms of access, changing attitudes towards mental health, assessment of clinical acuity, and delivery of care. In this course, we will examine and explore the benefits, risks, and appropriate use of these technologies. At the end of this course, participants will have an improved understanding of the benefits, risks, and appropriate implementation of many technologies used in mental health services.
Participants who engage in this education intervention will be able to:
- recognize the impact of social media with regards to decreasing stigma of mental health, influence on health seeking behaviors, and professional development
- assess smartphone applications with regards to scientific basis, privacy, security, and clinical integration to incorporate them into clinical practice
- determine how artificial intelligence software will assist in suicide risk assessment and identifying patients at risk for relapse, and incorporate these technologies in assessment
- review personal and professional information available online in form of blogs, physician ratings, and social media and how these impact online reputation and privacy
- Incorporate strategies to protect personal privacy and professional reputation online.
In accordance with the ACCME® Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, Standard 3, all in control of content must disclose any relevant financial relationships. The following in control of content had no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
The Medical College of Wisconsin is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians
Designation of Credit Statement
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates each week-long session of this live activity for a maximum of 15 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM and each two-day session for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hours of Participation for Allied Health Professionals
The Medical College of Wisconsin designates each week-long session of this live activity for up to 15.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals and each two-day session a maximum of 6.0 hours of participation for continuing education for allied health professionals.
- 15.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 15.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
Early bird registration until June 1, 2023:
Tuition for 5-day sessions will be reduced to $645 and to $395 for graduate and medical students and resident physicians with a letter from the training director.
Refunds, minus a $50 administrative fee, may be obtained if requested in writing no later than 15 days prior to the beginning of each session. There will be no refunds thereafter.
**The deadline for claiming credit is November 30, 2023, after which you will not be able to obtain your credits. From December 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023 you can claim credit for a $25 fee paid to the Office of Continuing Professional Development.**
Registration for courses managed by MCW Office of Continuing Professional Development can only be completed through our portal at https://ocpe.mcw.edu/. Course registrations made through other sites cannot be honored. MCW Office of Continuing Professional Development is not able to refund fees paid through unaffiliated registration sites, such as eMedEvents.com, MedConfWorld.com, EventEgg.com, and 10times.com.
Please report any unauthorized websites or solicitations for registrations to firstname.lastname@example.org.