3rd Annual Cancer Disparities Virtual Symposium: Challenges in Cancer Care for Gender and Sexual Minorities
The 3rd Annual Cancer Disparities Virtual Symposium will be a one-day virtual conference focused on addressing the challenges in current clinical practice for sexual and gender minorities. Topics will include tobacco control and prevention, epidemiology of anal cancer, cancer survivorship, and more as we address strategies to improve outcomes and disparities faced by the LGBTQ community.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Researchers and Allied Health Professionals.
- Learners will be able to identify health inequities among cancer survivors from sexual and gender minorities, and list preventive cancer screening recommendations appropriate to their patient population.
- Attendees will differentiate risk factors for more common types of cancer among sexual and gender minority populations.
- Attendees will be able to provide resources better curated for SGM patients that can address unique needs such as physical/psychological impact of pausing hormone treatments, sexual disfunction post-treatment and confronting heteronormative bias (conscious and unconscious) in a health care environment.
8:00-8:05 a.m. Introduction - Gustavo Leone, PhD
8:05-8:45 a.m. LGBTQ+ Health: Understanding Health Needs, Improving Patient Experiences and Enhancing Health Professional Education – Andrew Petroll, MD
8:45-9:25 a.m. Cancer and the LGBT Community: Same but Different - Ulrike Boehmer, PhD
9:25-10:05 a.m. Psychosocial Needs of LGBTQ Cancer Patients and Their Caregivers - Charles Kamen, PhD
10:05-10:20 a.m. Break/View virtual exhibits
10:20-11:00 a.m. By Undoing Big Tobacco, We Have the Power to Upend Cancer – Bob Gordon, MPH
11:00-11:40 a.m. Anal Cancer and Novel Screening Strategies – Alan Nyitray, PhD
11:40 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. Panel Discussion and Q & A - Moderated by Chandler Cortina, MD & Janet Retsek
|Andrew Petroll, MD, MS||Gilead||Researcher (Funding)|
In accordance with the ACCME® standards for Commercial Support Number 6, all in control of content disclosed any relevant financial relationships. These relationships were reviewed via the MCW conflict of interest resolution process and resolved.
- 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- 4.00 Hours of ParticipationHours of Participation credit.
Attendees will register here for the event. On September 13, those registered for this event will receive a link to our event portal (hosted by Pheedloop) via email. The event portal will allow our virtual attendees to attend presentations, view exhibits, participate in the panel discussion and pose questions to our presenters. Additionally, our program will be recorded and viewable for two weeks after the conclusion of the event (though CEUs will only be given to those attending the live event).